U Colorado rotators only?

More
6 years 7 months ago #32152 by Dedicated2ortho
Replied by Dedicated2ortho on topic ?
Absolutely correct. My life style for example, that I like outdoor activities, have a German Shepherd Dog, enjoy the nature... I am almost sure that I can not be as happy in NYC as I could in Denver.

Not sure about the cut off. Would not allow any score to discourage myself if I were you. When you rotate, and show that you are really interested and dedicated, no step 1 will be a hurdle for you to become a resident in Colorado or elsewhere you rotate.

Just go for it... Faculty members, especially like the ones in Colorado are very solid people who would not judge their rotators based solely on their step 1 scores.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #32312 by Diggidy
Replied by Diggidy on topic ?
Does anybody know how many rotators usually come through Colorado in a year?

For people who rotated there this year, how were you treated at a rotator? Were you treated as a fly on the wall, or did you get to know some of the residents and/or attendings well? Did you ever hang out with any of the residents outside of the hospital?

Also, I know every hospital is different in terms of how much they will let medical students do now with how strict the legal system is; are you writing notes & orders and actually helping out, or are you just going to operations and keeping the list updated and what not? (The latter is the situation at my home hospital -- extremely frustrating not being able to help out much on the team).

More
6 years 6 months ago #32508 by Diggidy
Just wanted to bump this up and see if anybody has any input on the above questions?

Also, for those that rotated through here, do you only rotate on Trauma when here or do do they put some kids on sports, hand, etc...

I'm starting to organize my 4th year plans, rotating at UC is definitely my #1 choice. Is it very competitive just to get an away rotator spot? If anybody who also interviewed at UC this year doesn't mind me asking, what were your stats like, and which geographic region are you coming from?

Thank you!

More
6 years 6 months ago #32510 by mdbelton
Replied by mdbelton on topic ?
Rotators are designated between the four sites [UCH/Children's/VA/DenverHealth] for two weeks at a time. During my month, I spent two weeks at Denver Health, the main trauma hospital. There the majority of cases where Trauma, Hand, or Spine. At the VA, I experienced a mix of Adult Recon, Hand, and Sports. I'm unsure about the University Hospital experience. There was a rotator who was specifically assigned a sports rotation, though he might have had a inside connection beyond VSAS.

From what I understand, it is competitive to obtain a spot. With that being said, I don't think it is impossible. I hail from the south. My scores are solid, upper-middle class, but not extraordinary. PM me if you want further details. This is a place you'll definitely be given a chance show your worth, as you'll work hard and long. But the atmosphere is encouraging and the experience invaluable.

As to your previous questions:
1) Rotators are treated like a part of the team. We had specific responsibilities and were utilized throughout the day and on-call.
2) The residents and attendings were extremely approachable. They never seemed bothered by our presence, quite the opposite. Many times, the residents would buy my lunch, breakfast, or coffee. Had an attending take us for breakfast one morning when the first case was cancelled. I heard of them also taking the medical students for wings and drinks every friday.
3) Degree of participation is resident/attending dependent. At DG (Denver General), you tee up the notes with vitals, change dressings, collate the list before rounds, help with cases, manage the floor, and help out with consults. At the VA, you see patients in clinic, write up notes (must have VA access), present plans, scrub cases, tee up notes with vitals.
-tl;dr You definitely help out a great deal and they don't forget you exist.

More
6 years 5 months ago #32563 by Diggidy
Was talking to a 4th year I know that rotated through and said that while he loved the program and residents/attendings, he felt there might be a bias against guys that are couples matching (which he is doing, and he didn't get an interview after doing his away) and that most of the residents were single that he met. While I thought this sounded extreme and maybe slightly paranoid, I know Colorado expects hard work and long hours, and was wondering if they might prefer a single resident that has less "distractions" outside of the hospital?

More
6 years 5 months ago #32564 by mdbelton
Replied by mdbelton on topic ?

Diggidy wrote: Was talking to a 4th year I know that rotated through and said that while he loved the program and residents/attendings, he felt there might be a bias against guys that are couples matching (which he is doing, and he didn't get an interview after doing his away) and that most of the residents were single that he met. While I thought this sounded extreme and maybe slightly paranoid, I know Colorado expects hard work and long hours, and was wondering if they might prefer a single resident that has less "distractions" outside of the hospital?

Diggidy-
The thing about the CU program is that they expect their rotating students to work hard; by leaning on us a bit, they allow us to shine and really show our merit. The fact that they explicitly state that they will not be interviewing all students, allows you to know upfront whether they are seriously considering you. With that being said, there were plenty of residents who were married before starting their residency. Just from the PGY-1 class, there is a guy who is married (wife not a physician), a guy who couples-matched, and a guy who is single. The other three PGY-1s, I did not have the pleasure of interacting with, so I can't comment on their status. In addition, all the chiefs are married with kids, except one.
Honestly, I know of a few rotators who did not receive interview invites. Though we all like to rationalize why that is the case, I do not personally believe it has anything to do with marital status or couples matching. They want men and women who are willing to work hard and are good operators. They also seem to want applicants who gel with the residents and are team players. Those qualities have nothing to do with having a significant other.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc