Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Interview Questions

El hueso, esta aplicando a 17 years 3 months ago #583

El hueso,
esta aplicando a programas en FL, TX, Chicago, NY? Que piensa de Miami???
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I don't know if this 17 years 3 months ago #586

I don't know if this is in the right spot but...

How conservative are ortho programs in general? Should i choose my silver frame glasses over my black plastic frames? Is the navy suit the only suit? Is laughing and trying to have a little light conversation a no-no?

also...

The "be yourself" thing is hard to capture... people that don't know me think I am an all business guys that gets things done... but those who do know that I love to have a good time all the time... even at work.

How do you show all that without looking like an idiot?... or worse, like a person that is off his mood stabilizers!

Madomi

ps - one of the reasons ortho is so great is because you have people who help each other out! Like you guys... thanks.

I thought that I would 16 years 11 months ago #1202

I thought that I would bump this back up top as many of us are awaiting invites or are already preparing for interviews. This is a list of topics that was completed by the current intern class shortly after the match. We can add to this list of questions as we begin interviewing.

there will be obvious ones 16 years 11 months ago #1214

there will be obvious ones "why ortho", "why here" "what are you strengths/weaknesses" "why should we take you versus the jillion other applicants" etc, etc. And there are always some who like ethical questions "what do you do if you attending is drunk" etc. ANd then there are the weird/random ones that mostly just try to catch you offguard or see how you react "what animal would you be and why" "if you could eat dinner with any three people in history who would they be and why". You obviously cant prepare for those, and while you want to have given some thought to the obvious/frequent questions, you dont want to have a ready made answer that sounds like you hav rehearsed it a bunch. Just keep your cool, be honest and answer the damn question without trying to figure out if it is a trick or something. Your confidence, honesty and composure will speak more about you than the answer you are giving.

The VAST majority of interveiws 16 years 11 months ago #1216

The VAST majority of interveiws are incredibly friendly. These people are trying to decide if you're the one they want to see in the O.R., getting the patient ready, when they have to come in in the middle of the night. It is not a test, just a conversation.

Unfortunately, some people are terrible conversationalists after spending an entire day interviewing applicants, so they may resort to oddities to get you talking.

More generally, don't have canned answers or questions, but be ready to talk in depth about:

1. any research you have done--talk about the science, NOT how much work you did or how amazing you were to come up with the project
2. the city/region where the program is
3. unique aspects of the program organization
4. Your mentors/letter writers and your work with them. Remember that academic ortho is a relatively small world, and many know each other. If your mentors were important in your educational development, let interviewers know how and why, as well as why you think the interviewing program seems like it could offer similar or improved experiences.

Your honest enthusiasm is your best friend in interviews: enthusiasm for orthopaedics, enthusiasm for your research, enthusiasm for medicine in general.

Whatever you do, NEVER criticize people or places if you can at all avoid it. If you speak with respect and admiration for the people you have already worked with, your interviewers can expect that you will ultimately speak with respect and admiration for whatever residency program you complete.

my $0.02

I guess we will bump 16 years 10 months ago #1422

I guess we will bump this back up to the top again.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc